Senior Lecturer at the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science in QMUL. Electrical Engineering degree from the Federal University of Parana (Brazil). M.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering from the Federal University of Santa Catarina (Brazil). Ph.D. in Electronic Engineering from Queen Mary, University of London (UK). Published more than 50 refereed journal/conference papers and research interests include sensor networks and the Internet of Things, human activity detection and recognition through minimal non-intrusive sensing, indoor and outdoor localization, communication support for emergencies, heterogeneous wireless environments, cooperative communications, ad hoc and delay tolerant networks.
Eliane joined Queen Mary University of London in 2003. She is a member of the Communication Systems Research Group. Her research projects have been sponsored by EPSRC in the area of alternative and resilient communication for emergencies and sensor networks and in using wireless networks to support first responders and resilience in upland areas. The real demonstrators developed on those grants in sensors networks, delay tolerant networks and in messaging middleware have been showcased. She has also been sponsored by BT in the work in internet centric services. Eliane is a member of the EPSRC Associate Peer Review College, and she is a reviewer of numerous journals and conferences, including IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Networks, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems and the IET Communications Journal.
1. Principal Investigator, India-UK Advanced Technology Centre (IU-ATC) EPRSC grant (01.06.2009 to 31.03.2012);
2. Coordinator, Global Partnerships Fund - UK/China collaboration in Internet of Things (IoT) for environmental protection and monitoring (01.04.2012 to 31.03.2013);
3. Principal Investigator, India-UK Advanced Technology Centre (IU-ATC) PHASE 2 - EPRSC grant Awarded on December 2011 (07.05.2012 to 31.12.2014);
4. Principal Investigator of Pilot project of Digital Economy: IT as a Utility Network (15.07.2013 to 14.01.2014).
Completed PhDs: 6; Current PhD supervision: 2
Recent Research Publications
- M. Sridharan, J. Bigham, P. M. Campbell, C. Phillips and E. Bodanese, “Inferring Micro-Activities through Wearable Sensing for ADL recognition of Home-Care Patients”, in IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. May 2019, doi:
- F. Luo, S. Poslad and E. Bodanese, "Human Activity Detection and Coarse Localization Outdoors Using Micro-Doppler Signatures," in IEEE Sensors Journal. May 2019, doi: 10.1109/JSEN.2019.2917375
- F. Luo, S. Poslad and E. Bodanese, “Kitchen Activity Detection for Healthcare using a low-power Radar-Enabled Sensor Network”, Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 20-24 May 2019, Shanghai, China.
- M. Sridharan, J. Bigham, P. M. Campbell and E. Bodanese, “Evaluation of Factors Affecting Inverse Beacon Fingerprinting Using Route Prediction Algorithm”, Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 15-19 April 2019, Marrakech, Morocco.
- Z. Ma, J. Bigham, S. Poslad, B. Wu, X. Zhang and E. Bodanese, "Device-Free, Activity During Daily Life, Recognition Using a Low-Cost Lidar," 2018 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 2018, pp. 1-6. doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2018.8647251
- M. Sridharan, J. Bigham, C. Phillips and E. Bodanese, "Collaborative location estimation for confined spaces using magnetic field and inverse beacon positioning," 2017 IEEE SENSORS, Glasgow, 2017, pp. 1-3. doi: 10.1109/ICSENS.2017.8234215
- G. Tyson, J. Bigham, E. Bodanese, N. Akhtar, P. Biswas, P. Langdon, V. Mimrot, P. Mukhopadhyay, J. V. Ribeiro, "Designing an adaptive emergency warning system for heterogeneous environments," 2016 IEEE 27th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Valencia, 2016, pp. 1-6. doi: 10.1109/PIMRC.2016.7794962.
- G. Tyson, E. Bodanese, J. Bigham and A. Mauthe, "Beyond content delivery: can ICNs help emergency scenarios?," in IEEE Network, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 44-49, May-June 2014. doi: 10.1109/MNET.2014.6843231
- Sabri-e-Zaman; Gupta, M.; Mondragon, R.J.; Bodanese, E.; "An eigendecomposition based adaptive spatial sampling technique for wireless sensor networks", IEEE 39th Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), 8-11 Sept. 2014, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Year: 2014, Pages: 430 - 433, DOI: 10.1109/LCN.2014.6925809.
- Shum, L.V.; Hailes, S.; Gupta, M.; Bodanese, E.; Rajalakshmi, P.; Desai, U.B.; "Bi-scale temporal sampling strategy for traffic-induced pollution data with Wireless Sensor Networks". IEEE 39th Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), 8-11 Sept. 2014, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Year: 2014, Pages: 279 - 287, DOI: 10.1109/LCN.2014.6925782.
- Yair Diaz-Tellez, Eliane L. Bodanese, Fadiali El-Moussa, Theo Dimitrakos; "Secure Execution Context Enforcement Framework based on Activity Detection on Data and Applications Hosted on Smart Devices", The 5th ASE/IEEE International Conference on Information Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust, 8 -14 Sept. 14, 2013, Alexandria, VA, USA. Pages: 630-638, DOI: 10.1109/SocialCom.2013.95.
- Tyson, G. ; Bigham, J. ; Bodanese, E. ; "Towards an information-centric delay-tolerant network", 2013 IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS), 14-19 April 2013, Turin, Italy, Publication Year: 2013 , Page(s): 387 - 392, DOI: 10.1109/INFCOMW.2013.6970723
- Mei, Haibo; Bigham, John; Jiang, Peng; Bodanese, Eliane; "Distributed Dynamic Frequency Allocation in Fractional Frequency Reused Relay Based Cellular Networks", IEEE Transactions on Communications, Volume: 61 , Issue: 4 Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TCOMM.2012.121112.110580 Publication Year: 2013, Page(s): 1327 - 1336
- Kejiong Li; Bigham, J.; Bodanese, E.L.; Tokarchuk, L.; "Outdoor Location Estimation in Changeable Environments", IEEE Communications Letters, IEEE, Year: 2013, Volume: 17, Issue: 11, Pages: 2072 - 2075, DOI: 10.1109/LCOMM.2013.092813.131427.
- Weizhi Luo and Eliane L Bodanese, "A network resource availability model for IEEE802.11a/b-based WLAN carrying different service types", EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking 2011, 2011:103 doi:10.1186/1687-1499-2011-10.Published: 19 September 2011.
- P. Jiang, J. Bigham, E. Bodanese, E. Claudel, "Publish/subscribe delay-tolerant message-oriented middleware for resilient communication", IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, Issue;9, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/MCOM.2011.6011743. Publication Year: 2011, Page(s): 124 - 130.
Queen Mary, University of London, UK, Sep 2003 – now:
Taught modules: Enabling Communication Technologies for IoT, Sensors and the Internet of Things, Communications and Networks, C Programming, Mobile and WLAN Technologies, Programming Fundamentals, Software Engineering, Wireless Networks, Network Programming, Network Computing and Internet Technologies, MEng Group Project Supervision; Undergraduate Final project Supervision; Postgraduate Supervision (MSc, MSc by Research and PhD); Providing student pastoral support and guidance to assigned students (academic tutees); Preparing and participating in outreach (e.g. school talks, IET Faraday Challenge Day) and recruitment initiatives; Developing and evaluating assessment strategies.
Lecturer at BT MSc. UCL, London, UK, Sep 2004 – Feb 2008:
Lecturing in the Software Engineering Module.
Lecturer at CEFET-PR, Federal Centre of Technological Education of Parana Curitiba, Brazil, Nov 1993 – Aug 2003:
CEFET-PR became a university in 2007 - Federal University of Technology of Parana (www.utfpr.edu.br) - Taught modules: C Programming, Distributed Systems, Wireless Communications. Other academic activities: Supervising undergraduate/postgraduate students; Curriculum design and development; Development and evaluation of assessment strategies; Design, installation and administration supervision of the academic local area network.
EPSRC Peer Review Associate College Member
IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems; IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing; IEEE Transactions on Wireless Networks; IET Wireless Sensor Systems (WSS); IET Communications; Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Journal (Wiley); IEEE Communication Letters.
Conference organisation (recent years only)
Member of the Technical Program Committee for: Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS 2012); International Symposium on Wireless Communications Systems 2010 (ISWCS 2010); IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC 2009; Reviewer for: IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC 2012; IEEE VTC Spring 2008 - IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf.
Internal examiner, QMUL - London, 18.05.2011, 08.06.2018, 20.07.2018, 11.01.2019 ; Internal examiner, King’s College - London, 08.12.2009; External examiner, Kings College, 12.04.2013; External Examiner, University of Surrey, 02.05.2013; University of Essex, 13.02.2017.
External examiner, Bedfordshire University, Luton Campus, 18.11.2010; External examiner, City University, London, 01.03.2018;
QMUL Research Ethics Committee
for EECS-UK of IET Enhanced Academic Partnership