Computer Systems and Networks (Undergraduate)
This module provides you with a basic understanding of how a computer works and how programs are executed by the CPU at the machine level. As an introduction to computer architecture and systems software, this module presents the concepts needed to understand typical computers at the level of their ';machine-code'; instruction set. It covers Boolean algebra rules and terminology as well as logic gates. The module also examines the use of bits, bytes and data formats to represent integers, text and programs as well as looking at the conventional von Neumann computer architecture (CPU, registers, memory). Assembly language programming and system software are introduced.
Distributed Systems (Postgraduate/Undergraduate)
The Internet interconnects billions of machines, ranging from high end servers to limited capacity embedded sensing devices. Distributed systems are built to take advantage of multiple interconnected machines and achieve common goals with them. The module will cover the fundamental concepts and technical challenges of building distributed systems. The topics will include the characteristics of network communications for applications, application-level communication protocols, the concept of synchronization (implications, role of consistency modes and protocols), as well as the impact of data replication, and options for tolerating failures.
Internet Protocols and Applications (Undergraduate)
This module builds upon the Programming Fundamentals and Telecoms and Internet Fundamentals modules, introducing you to the major Internet applications. It focuses on the TCP/IP protocol suite from OSI layers 5 through to 7, though some appreciation is given to transport layer protocols as part of the socket-programming topic.
Research Interests:My research interests cover a broad spectrum of topics in both and . Specifically, they span network monitoring, data plane offloading, end host networking and Software Defined Networking. More information can be found on my homepage.
- Ben Basat R., Ramanathan S., Li Y., Antichi G., Yu M., Mitzenmacher M., , New York, New York, US, 2020
- Chiesa M., Sedar R., Antichi G., Borokhovich M., Kamisinski A., Nikolaidis G., Schmid S., , Orlando, Florida, US, 2019
- Neugebauer R., Antichi G., Zazo J.F., Audzevich Y., López-Buedo S., Moore A.W. Understanding PCIe performance for end host networking ACM SIGCOMM, Budapest, Hungary, 2018
- Handley M., Raiciu C., Agache A., Voinescu A., Moore A.W., Antichi G., Wójcik M. Re-architecting datacenter networks and stacks for low latency and high performance ACM SIGCOMM, Los Angeles, California, US, 2017 BEST PAPER AWARD
- Antichi G., Castro I., Chiesa M., Fernandes E., Lapeyrade R., Kopp D., Han J., Bruyere M., Dietzel C., Gusat M., Moore A.W., Owezarski P., Uhlig S., Canini M. ENDEAVOUR: A Scalable SDN Architecture for Real-World IXPs IEEE Journal on Selected Area of Communication, Special issue on Emerging Technologies in Software-driven Communication, 2017