Natural Language Processing (Undergraduate/Postgraduate)
Natural Language Processing (aka Computational Linguistics) has become an important and growing field in the last decade. Many of the most important applications for computing now involve the processing and understanding of spoken or written language: machine translation, question answering, news summarisation, text and opinion mining, and spoken dialogue systems like the iPhone's Siri. This module will introduce the core techniques in language processing, including statistical and rule-based approaches, and show how to apply them to the main application areas.
I am interested in the logical and mathematical structures governing artificial intelligence and in particular, in understanding how language works, so we may enable computers to use it in ways similar to humans.
Topics of Interest
Compositional Distributional Semantics
Category Theoretical Models of Natural Language
Pregroup Grammars, Vector Space Models
Dynamic Epistemic Logic, Algebra, Coalgebra, Proof Theory
Awards and Fellowships:
- Royal Academy of Engineering Industrial Fellowship, with the BBC R&D, January 2018-2019.
- Royal Society International Exchange Award, with Reinhard Muskens (Tilburg), January 2017-2019.
- EPSRC Career Acceleration Fellowship, October 2011-2016.
- EPSRC Postdoctoral, Fellowship, October 2008-2011.
- Royal Society International Conference Grant, 2008.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, 2001.
- University of Ottawa Excellence Scholarship, 2001.
- Canada Female Doctorate Student Award, 2001.
Semantic Area co-chair of CONLL 2018
, October-November 2018.
Semantic area co-chair of ACL 2017
, July-August, 2017,
Language and Computation co-chair of ESSLLI
Jury Member of Federation of Logic Language Information (FoLLI)'s E.W.S. Beth Dissertation Prize, 2015,2016,2017,
International Workshop on Logic Language Information and Computation (WoLLIC) 2016,2017,
International Conference on Mathematical Foundations of Programming Semantics (MFPS) 2017,
International Conference on Logical Aspects of Computational Linguistics (LACL) 2016,
International Conference on Formal Grammar 2016,2017,2018,
International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) 2016,
International Conference on Mathematics of Language (MoL) 2015, 2017,
International Conference on Quantum Physics and Logic (QPL), 2011-16,
International Conference on Computability in Europe (CiE), 2014-16,
International Conference on Quantum Interactions (QI), 2011-15.
- 15th Biennial Conference on Mathematics of Language, QMUL, 2017,
- 24th Workshop on Logic Language Information and Computation, jointly held with UCL, 2017,
- EPSRC funded Workshop on Statistical and Logical Models of Meaning (SaLMoM), NASSLLI, 2016,
- CIMPA funded Workshop on Modal Logic and its Applications in CS,University of Tehran, 2016,
- International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS), QMUL, 2015,
- EPSRC funded Workshop on Advances in Distributional Semantics, QMUL, 2015,
- EPSRC & BLC funded Workshop on Algebra and Coalgebra meets Proof Theory (ALCOP), QMUL, 2014,
- British Council and Platform Beta Techniek funded Workshop on Quantum Physics and Linguistics, Oxford, 2010,
- OASIS seminar series of the Foundations group, Dept of CS, Oxford, 2008-2013,
- Cakes talks, Dept of CS, Oxford, Hilary and Trinity 2012.
- Logic, Language, and Computation, Proceedings of the 11th International Tbilisi Symposium on Logic, Language, and Computation, TbiLLC 2015, Tbilisi, Georgia, September 21-26, 2015, Revised Selected Papers, H. Hansen, S. Murray, M. Sadrzadeh, H. Zeevat, (eds), LNCS series, Springer, 2017.
- Quantum Physics and Linguistics: A Compositional? Diagrammatic Discourse, C. Heunen, M. Sadrzadeh, E. Grefenstette (eds), Oxford University Press. 2013.
- AFSOR project (with Oxford): Algorithmic and Logical Aspects when Computing Meanings.
- Clothes Network Ltd: Compositional vector methods for request classification, with FayiMora Femi-Balogun
- EPSRC project: New Foundational Structures for Engineering Verified multi-UAV's.
- EPSRC Career Acceleration Fellowship: Foundational Structures for Compositional Meaning.
- Done: EPSRC Postdoctoral Fellow ship: (AlCoSeK) Alegbraic and Coalgebraic Semantics for Knowledge.
Key Invited Talks
- My research profile in QMUL's Connect newsletter, August 2016.
- `How to feed and raise a Wikipedia robo-editor', Conversation, December 11, 2015.
- `Entanglement in quantum phenomena and natural language', Technology.org, May 21, 2014.
- `Algebra bridges syntax and meaning in natural language', Technology.org, July 29, 2014.
- `Our ambiguous world of words', University of Cambridge Research Horizons, May 2013.
- `Quantum physics => Natural language', Inspired Research, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Oxford, Summer 2011.
- `Quantum links let computers understand language', New Scientist, issue 2790, December 2010.
- 12th Panhellenic Logic Symposium, Crete, June 2019.
- SICSA Workshop on Conversational AI, "Exploring Semantic Incrementality with Dynamic Syntax and Vector Space Semantics", December 2018.
- CL-ILLC, "Exploring Semantic Incrementality with Dynamic Syntax and Vector Space Semantics", October 2018.
- Symposium on Logic and Algorithms in Computational Linguistics (LACompLing), "Lambdas, Vectors, and Dynamic Logic", August 2018, Stockholm.
- Language Technology Lab, Cambridge, "Statistical Properties and Applications of Word Tensors", June 2017.
- CLASP Conference on Machine Learning and Logic , Gothenburg, June 2017.
- British Colloq. Theoretical CS, University of St Andrews, April 2017.
- EPSRC Early Career workshop in Cardiff, April 2017.
- Institute for Language Cognition and Computation, LCC, University of Edinburgh, February 2017.
- Simons Institute of Theoretical Computer Science, Berkeley, Compositionally workshop, Dec 2016.
- Workshop on Modal Logic and Applications in Computer Science, University of Tehran, September, 2016.
- 21st Conference on Formal Grammar, University of Bolzano-Bozen, August 2016.
- Quantum Linguistics, Tungsten Public Lecture, Goldsmith College, London, January 2016.
- 11th International Tbilisi Symposium on Language, Logic and Computation (TbiLLC), Goerigian Academy of Science, September, 2015.
- British Logic Colloquium, Isaac Newton Insti tute for Mathematical Sciences, University of Cambridge, September, 2015.
- 1st International Conference on Topics in Theoretical Computer Science (TTCS 201 5), Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Tehran, Iran, August, 2015.
- The Legacy of Joachim Lambek (FoLLI affiliated meeting),15th Congress on Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science, Helsinki. August 2015.
- 22nd Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation (WoLLIC), Bloomington, July 2015.
- Second Iran Conference in Logic, Tehran, December 2014.
- Exploring Semantics Incrementality with Dynamic Syntax and Vector Space Semantics, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Matt Purver, Julian hough, ruth Kempson, Proceedings of SemDial, November 2018, https://arxiv.org/abs/1811.00614.
- Static and Dynamic Vector Semantics for Lambda Calculus Models of Natural Language, Reinhard Muskens and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, accepted for publication in JLM in September 2018, https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.11351.
- Classical Copying vs Quantum Entanglement in Natural Language: the case of VP-Ellipsis, Gijs Wijnholds and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, EPTCS Proceedings of CAPNS 2018, https://arxiv.org/abs/1811.03276.
- Sentence Entailment in Compositional Distributional Semantics, Esma Balkir, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Annals of Maths and AI, Vol. 82, Issue 4, pp. 189-218, April 2018, https://arxiv.org/abs/1512.04419.
- Linguistic Matrix Theory, Dimitri Kartsaklis, Sanjaye Ramgoolam, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, accepted for publication in Annals of Institute Henri Poincare, March 2018, https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.10252 .
- A Generalised Quantifier Theory of Natural Language in Categorical Compositional Distributional Semantics with Bialgebras, Jules Hedges and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, to appear in Mathematical Structures in Computer Science, 2017, arXiv[1602.01635].
- Experimental Results on Exploiting Predicate-Argument Structure for Verb Similarity in Distributional Semantics, Benjamin Blundell, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Elisabetta Jezek, Proceedings of the Conference on Logic and Machine Learning, CLASP Papers in Computational Linguistics, Vol. 1, pp. 101-108, Dobnik and Lappin (eds.), University of Gothenburg, URI: http://hdl.handle.net/2077/54911, June 2017.
- Non-commutative Logic for Compositional Distributional Semantics, Karin Cvetko Vah, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Benjamin Blundell, 24th Workshop on Logic Language Information and Computation, UCL, July 2017.
- Quantization, Frobenius and Bialgebras from the Categorical Framework of Quantum Mechanics to Natural Language Semantics, Front. Phys., https://doi.org/10.3389/fphy.2017.00018, Special Issue on Application of Quantum Mechanical Techniques to Areas Outside of Quantum Mechanics. Haven and Khrennikov (eds.), 04 July 2017.
- Distributional Inclusion Hypothesis for Tensor-based Composition, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, 26th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, Osaka, Japan, December 2016.
- A Compositional Distributional Inclusion Hypothesis, Dimitri Kartsaklis and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, the 9th edition of the Conference on Logical Aspects of Computational Linguistics, Nancy, France, December 2016.
- Many Valued Generalised Quantifiers for Natural Language in the DisCoCat Model, Matej Dostal and Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, QMUL Technical Report, October 2016.
- Quantifier Scope in Categorical Compositional Distributional Semantics, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Workshop on Semantic Spaces at the Intersection of NLP, Physics and Cognitive Science,Glasgow, June 2016, EPTCS proceedings.
- Context Update for Lambdas and Vectors, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh and Reinhard Muskens, NASSLLI workshop on Statistical and Logical Models of Meaning (SaLMoM), Rutgers, NJ, 2016.
- Lambdas and Vectors, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh and Reinhard Muskens, ESSLLI workshop on Distributional Semantics and Linguis tics Theory (DSALT), Bolzano, 2016.
- Distributional Sentence Entailment Using Density Matrices, Esma Balkir, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Bob Co ecke, LNCS-FTP proceedings of TTCS, editors: MT Hajiaghayi MT, MR Mousavi, volume, 9541, pp 1-22. 2015.
- The Frobenius anatomy of word meanings II: possessive relative pronouns, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Stephen Clark, Bob Coecke, Journal of Logic and Computation, Essays dedicated to Roy Dyckhoff on the occasion of his retirement, S. Graham-Lengrand and D. Galmiche (eds.), Vol. 26, pp 785-815, 2016.
- Gijs Wijnholds (QMUL)
- Dmitrijs Milajevs (QMUL)
- Dimitri Kartsaklis (graduated, Oxford, with Profs Coecke and Pulman)
- Edward G refenstette (graduated, Oxford, with Profs Coecke and Pulman)
- Pere Pardo (graduated, Barcelona, with Prof Godo)
- Natural Language Processing, ECS763P, with Matt Purver, winter 2017, QMUL.
- Mathematics for Electronic Engineers (II), ECS 423 U, with Bob Sturm and Rob Donnan, winter 2017, QMUL.
- Mathematics for Electronic Engineers (I), ECS 408 U, fall 2016, QMUL.
- Computability ECS613U, with Greta Yorsh, winter 2013-15, QMUL.
- Reasoning about Information Update, Hillary 2008 to 2012, Oxford.
- Logical Computations in Multi-Agent Systems, Sino-European Winter School on Logic Language Information (SELLC), Guanghzou, China, Dec'10.
Alternative Choir and Music Society, Oct 2009 to 2012. Wolfson College, Oxford.